Household Manager/Elder Care
I was born on the island of Jamaica, the fourth of five children. My mom was a warden at a women’s penitentiary and my father was a soldier in the Jamaica Defense Force. My grandmother, Sister Myrtle, and my great-grandmother, Miss Alice, raised me until I was 12. This was a common practice in Jamaican culture, as it eases the burden on young families.
I first realized my Service Heart around the age of six, living with my elders. As far as I can remember, I would help Sister Myrtle walk, as she had trouble with her legs (perhaps from osteoarthritis, an injury, or nerve damage). I spent my early years with many seniors who depended on me to help with strenuous tasks. Sister Myrtle and I were bosom buddies, virtually inseparable. I later discovered that Sister Myrtle was a cook to a private family. Her family valued her so much that when she retired, her name was written into their will, and she continued to receive checks from the family her entire life.
When I was 12 years old, I returned to live with my dad. My mother had previously moved to New York to work and pave a way for us to join her. On the weekends, my sister and I helped our live-in maid with housekeeping chores. Two years later, when we moved to New York, I assumed more responsibilities in our home, including cooking and cleaning for our family of seven, as both our parents worked.
After college, I landed a job as a Sales Analyst with Winthrop Pharmaceuticals, the company now known as Sanofi. I stayed with the company for 12 years, before deciding to leave the corporate world to raise my children.
I worked with my children and some of their friends in various areas of academia, at times assisting as many as seven students with their studies. I enjoyed helping them with SAT/ACT test prep, AP coursework, college applications, college visits, financial aid forms, college scholarship applications, summer jobs, internship applications and much more.
After my children left the home, I decided to re-enter the work force by pursuing a career in Private Service. My first career was administrative, the second, personal care. This third career, in Private Service, is a natural combination of the two. My Top Four Service Standards are Personal Care, (children, elderly, pets, guests), Administration, Housekeeping, and Clothing and Valet.
In my most recent assignment, I was Family Attendant to a family of seven: parents, three children, (including a pair of twins), a dog and a cat. I performed duties in Personal Care, Housekeeping and Clothing and Valet in a 35,000-square-foot nascent home. I enjoyed my work and regret not having embarked sooner in a career in Private Service.
My top four Service Standards are: Personal Care, Administrative, Clothing & Valet, and Housekeeping.
- Supports family values and discipline, as appropriate
- Assess environment to ensure safety of all children
- Supports wake-up and bedtime routines for all ages
- Assists with bathing and grooming for daily activities and special events
- Identifies favorites and preferences for children
- Keeps calendar of daily schedules, school activities and social activities
- Maintains child-specific inventory of toiletries and school supplies
- Provides educational support in Math, English, Reading, Writing, Science, Social Studies, French, Biology, Chemistry, History, and Standardized Test Preparation
- Provides coaching, mentoring, supervision, and guidance in academics, career choices, and extra-curricular activities
- Assists with Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) meetings, Parent-Teacher Conferences, and college visits
- Provides daily transportation for children in addition to sports, art, music lessons and competitions
- Chaperones play-dates, sleep-overs, and school trips
- Supports family’s pet care style and discipline
- Supports pet-care schedules, daily activities, and special security measures, like invisible fence
- Interacts with pets to feed, walk, play with, and provide daily care
- Manages appointments with vet, trainer, groomer, and other pet-specific vendors
- Provides special toys/resting area, special clothing, accommodates special dietary needs
- Will employ Starkey Guest Management System
- Coordinates visits from other family members, friends, and business associates
- Identifies preferences and favorites and ensures all needs are met
- Inquires about daily schedules and suggests interesting activities or events
- Ensures all food requests are prepared for and supported including special diets and flavor profiles
- Provides concierge support for reservations and special requests
- Provides administrative support for equipment/technology and guest room amenities
- Provides Pick-up and Drop-off services at airport, train terminal, etc.
- Prepares guest rooms for arrival with special attention given to requests and amenities
- New Jersey Board Certified as Home Health Aide
- Mindful of life values, ethnic, religious, and cultural beliefs
- Assists with wake-up and bedtime routines, daily schedules, and activities
- Supports daily grooming, bathing, and dressing needs
- Identifies flavor profiles, favorites, and preferences
- Supports those with limited mobility including ADA access, Wheelchairs, Scooter, and Special Bathroom Supports
- Manages calendars for social functions, medical appointments, and entertainment engagements
- Provides transportation to appointments for medical, dental, vision, hair, aestheticians, therapists, pharmacists
- Manages medical records and safety measures such as life alert bracelets and medical ID’s
- Accompanies elders on trips to visit with friends or relatives
- Uses the patented Starkey Household Management System to structure the environment
- Possess excellent articulation in verbal, written and public speaking skills
- Researches, draft, edit, proof-read, and publish emails and documents
- Manages contacts, mailing lists, invitation lists, correspondence, personal files
- Comfortable hiring, training, and managing a staff
- Develops Employee Handbook to contain personnel policies
- Experienced in conflict resolution, time management and team-building skills
- Manages household budget including credit card reconciliations and balancing bank accounts
- Experienced developing and maintaining a budget for 20 people and $2 million dollars: petty cash, deposits, withdrawals, money transfers
- Detail-oriented and precise in business transactions and can negotiate fair prices
- Knowledge of payroll procedures, health insurance, disability insurance, catastrophic insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, vision benefits, 401(k) plans, IRA plans, Social Security benefits, payroll taxes etc.
- Able to digitize paper files and video recordings
- Proficient with business machines: computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, label makers, postage meters, scales
- High level of computer skills, Adobe, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, Calendar programs: MS Outlook, Google. Internet Applications, iPad. iPhone, Android, Windows: Smartphones and Apps, Mac Notebooks, PCs, Laptops
- Can handle phone conferences, video conferences and running errands
- Maintenance of manuals, records, specifications, how-to care, inventories, and warranties
Clothing & Valet:
- Determine Principal’s clothing style to support Personal Shopping needs
- Manages dry cleaning including logging items in and out, and repairs needed
- Acts as personal shopper and online ordering management
- Highly skilled at clothing care, shoe care, purse care and closet organization
- Careful handling specialty fabric, shoes, leathers, and accessories
- Familiar with sports clothing, equestrian wear, outdoor gear
- Knowledge of furs in wear, treatment, and storage
- Can launder, steam and iron clothing and linens
- Skilled at sewing buttons, closing seams, and performing minor clothing repairs
- Can rotate clothing for seasonal storage
- Can pack and unpack for business and leisure travel
- Has a personal interest in clothing and fashion
- Implements customized zoning and task sheets for a home
- Works alongside housekeeper to train or support, as needed
- Familiar with proper tools and procedures for cleaning a home
- Able to create Daily, Weekly, and Seasonal task sheets for detailed cleaning
- Understand smells and Special Care cleaning products for: glass, chrome, silver, brass, copper, gold
- Skilled in bed-making and turndown
- Knowledge of Antique and fine rug care
- Driven to ensure meticulous housekeeping standards
- Maintains inventory of household cleaning supplies and tools