From a very young age, my family instilled in me the values of serving others. We were always volunteering for our church and community, and helping each other and trying to feed large groups always required a lot of teamwork. My parents taught me how to be independent, roll up my sleeves and get the job done. If I didn’t know how to do something, I learned and since then, I have been fortunate to learn something new every day. That is one of the reasons I pursued degrees Art History, Ancient Civilizations, Nursing and as a Paralegal. There are just too many fascinating things in the world to be ignored.
As an adult, I have been fortunate to work in a variety of different fields, from intelligence work in the military to restaurants and even developing assessment tests with the ACT and NCS. As a child, I always wanted to be a Butler, but it was pure coincidence that I discovered Starkey International Institute for Household Management more than 15 years ago. I have been fortunate to be able to combine my education and experiences into the esteemed profession of Private Service. I see myself as the “Stage Manager” who is coordinating the myriad activities that happen behind the scenes as I am able to multitask and organize the varied duties of running a household.
Having a system and routine are helpful, but being flexible and open are also necessary. I understand the need to be on the Principal’s agenda and I am well-versed in the concept of maintaining classified and confidential information as required from when I held a top secret clearance with the US Navy.
I have strong Administrative skills, technical and mechanical know-how, unobtrusive service skills and anticipation, wine knowledge, proper care of art/furniture/silver/china/crystal and a knack for floral arrangements. I also work within budgets, cut extraneous costs when appropriate and make efficiency a top priority. However, the comfort and standards of the family always come first. Maintaining boundaries and confidentiality with Service, as well as teamwork, should be paramount for any household staff member.
Organized chaos is the best way I can describe what life is all about. I believe that a home should be an oasis away from that chaos. It is my job to make it so.
My top Service Standards are Administration, Housekeeping, Culinary, Maintenance and Personal Care.
- Strong organizational skills, including making lists, charts and tracking vendor information and inventory
- Experience working with both PC and Apple products: computers, smart phones and tablets
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Capable of all HR responsibilities: hiring, training, terminating, managing schedules, tax forms, background checks, etc.
- Capable of networking and internet-related setup/maintenance
- Skilled with QuickBooks: maintaining petty cash records, expenses and budgets
- Capable of maintaining household and family calendars
- Capable of sorting and processing mail
- Skilled with tracking expenses and progress during extensive renovations
- Experience in wine cellar management
- Experience in hiring, training and managing a team of housekeepers
- Capable of zoning a home with zones and task sheets
- Maintains homes to the standards expected of the Principals
- Skilled at polishing and maintaining silver, crystal, china and decorative items
- Experience in the maintenance of wood furniture and fine art
- Familiar with establishing cleaning checklists and instruction manuals for staff
- 35 years of professional culinary experience
- Familiar with daily cooking for small to large families
- Able to modify recipes to personal preferences or special diets
- Experience cooking for guests with highly restrictive allergies or diets, including heart-healthy options and anti-inflammatory restrictions
- Capable of cooking different cuisines, including French, American Southern and vegan
- Experience with cooking for formal dinner parties, casual entertaining, appetizers for cocktail parties and more
- Experience catering a Thanksgiving dinner on a private plane for 10 guests
- Certified in Food Handler Safety and Alcohol Awareness in several states
- Knowledgeable with wine, beer and liquor
- Experience working in high-end and casual restaurants
- Capable of basic hands-on home maintenance, including plumbing, electrical and vehicle fixes
- Skilled at vendor selection and management of all contractors for HVAC, plumbing, electrical, water, smart home technology and extermination
- Capable of replacing appliances on schedule
- Experienced overseeing the installation of two elevators for two different households
- Knowledgeable of the installation and upgrade of smart home technology, including Lutron, AMX and Savant
- Capable of upgrading audio/video equipment to keep up with new technology and applications
- Develops maintenance schedules of all household equipment to ensure proper and uninterrupted use
- Purchasing, organization and dispensing prescriptions and supplements
- Aided in post stroke care and subsequent physical therapy
- Maintained all medical records, attended medical appointments and was primary caregiver in the home
- Cared for pre-teens with Cerebral Palsy on weekends while in the Military
- Cared for a teenager with Cerebral Palsy in the home
- Assists guests with luggage and any special dietary needs
- Prepares guest rooms with flowers, specialty bedding (down pillows or hyper-allergenic) and any other needs
- Maintains a supply of sundries in case anything was forgotten when packing
- Provides ground transportation to and from airport and any events
- Maintains a list of local restaurants as well as their menus for quick reference
- Maintains a selection of local interest and entertainment brochures
- Provides maps and directions
- Capable of guest clothing care, including dry cleaning, laundry and minor repairs to clothing; Shoe care and polishing as needed