I was born in Fort Worth, Texas where my father’s family had lived for four generations. My mother was from England. My parents raised my older brother and me in Dallas/Fort Worth where my father took a position to be near his parents. We moved to Hastings, Nebraska when my father entered medical school for his Physician Assistant practitioner training. I was two years old when my parents divorced. My mother continued to raise us as a single parent and full-time housekeeper for a prominent bank president and CEO in our small town.
My paternal grandparents were extremely hard working. My grandfather worked his whole career in the Morton Salt mines in Grand Saline, Texas. He was fragile, but even so, by the time he retired he had built a ranch that encompassed hundreds of acres. As a child growing up, I spent many summers on that ranch bailing hay, tending to the cattle, working with horses and doing the chores so necessary to the running of the property. It was here that I got my first experience of the value of hard work. When I wasn’t in Texas, I accompanied my mother to her work. There she taught me how to cook and clean and I discovered that I enjoyed what I was doing, that it didn’t seem like work to me.
My maternal grandparents were from London. They relocated to Vancouver, British Columbia when my grandfather took over as pastor for a local church. He traveled all over the world as a part of his ministry, eventually deciding to become a missionary to Africa, a place that had touched him the most on his travels.
Despite coming from two different cultures, my grandparents on both sides demonstrated a similar commitment to their beliefs, high moral standards and values of integrity, generosity and hard work. My father's parents were simple country folk who believed in a strict upbringing. My mother’s parents were very “British.” They were extremely proper in all areas of their lives and very proud to be British. Both my maternal grandmother and grandfather reflected the culture and society they had grown up with in England. It was essential to my grandfather and mother that I learn the British traditions and etiquette that were so important the two of them.
I was seven years old the first time I heard my grandfather preach. It was then that I was inspired to orient my life’s work around service. His constant giving influenced me to do the same.
The day I turned 16, the legal age for work in Missouri, I got my first paying job. Working after school until midnight every day, I saved my money to buy essentials including clothes and books for school that my mother was not able to afford. I learned the importance of saving and thrift and the sense of accomplishment I felt from seeing the results of my hard work.
My core values are loyalty and tenacity. I learned loyalty from my mother who never wavered in her belief in me. Tenacity I learned from the results I achieved by never giving up in the face of what appear to be insurmountable obstacles. Those two values are how I was able to leave my small hometown to attend Pepperdine University and to build a corporate career beginning first with Nestle’ USA for several years. This was followed by an extensive career in entertainment with Scripps Networks Interactive where I was recruited to launch new lifestyle TV Networks, followed by Household Manager/Chief of staff, which is where I originally knew it was the right path for me since watching my Mother and Grandfather be in a service career.
I have a service heart that make me a good fit for service. I have high self-esteem, honesty, the ability to communicate effectively and detachment from judgment. My work style is a blend of Household Manager and Chief of staff to be relied upon as trusted adviser and private confidant where I can serve as administrator of personal and business needs of the Principal and of his/her family, including private matters.
My communication style is one that contributes to a positive active work environment. I am assertive while maintaining a calm outward demeanor. I express myself effectively to those I work for, with or work for me. I am able to stand up for my point of view while respecting the rights and beliefs of others.
My top priority is to work for the right Principal to bring and offer my service and loyalty. Loyalty has always been my top priority in all my positions I have held, in addition to my strong work ethic. I bring my British European etiquette, protocol and style I was taught growing up. It’s with anticipation that I’m able to build a strong trusting relationship with a Principal I can support in all areas to assist him/her with their lifelong dreams and goals and to support their lifestyle which will improve their quality of life.
I have traveled extensively throughout Europe, Southeast Asia and the Philippines. I have dual citizenship in the US and UK.
My top three standards are Administrative, Housekeeping and Entertainment.
- Recruit, hire and manage staff in accordance with state employment laws.
- Identify and supervise vendors and construction sub-contractors. Negotiate contracts.
- Create tracking system for budgeting.
- Create inventory tracking systems for high net worth items within the home such as paintings and other valuable items.
- Develop employee manual that includes rules, regulations. Implement relevant policies and procedures.
- Utilize PC and MAC, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) Internet, Skype, Viber, WhatsApp and a variety of MAC Apps.
- Build a medical profile for Principal and family.
- Utilize Starkey System to identify and organize the Principal’s service expectations.
- Superior organizational skills and use of different programs to keep organized, in addition to having a meticulous eye for details.
- Train staff in master bed making.
- Train staff in proper care and cleaning of silver, glass, and china.
- Train and supervise in cleaning different types of flooring such as, marble, tile and hardware, while also demonstrating the type of cleaning supplies needed for each including bio green cleaning products.
- Coordinate cleaning and upkeep of Principal’s homes in various locations.
- Recommend the level of skill needed for specific positions and evaluate each service staff using the Starkey Technical Skills Qualifier.
- Zone the home, building tasks sheets for Chef, Housekeepers, Nanny.
- Restock all cleaning supplies and assure a month’s supply is on hand at all times.
- Proper and appealing presentation of food and ballet of service for special events.
- Creative flower arrangement and flower vendor selection.
- Greet guests, family and entertain when needed.
- Select entertainment for special events. Select venues and vendors. Work with event planners. Shop for event appropriate departing gifts for guests.
- Identify and select chefs for special events including access to Food Network chefs.
- Utilize the Starkey entertainment planner when planning events.
- Provide American plated and English Service Styles.
- Create and keep on file all sourced and vetted vendors, service personnel, and florist for last minute events.
- Write up overview of large and small events and manage/assist kitchen staff and other household participants in organizing and servicing those events.