I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to a Catholic family with two older siblings. My mother and father immigrated to the United States from Ireland, where they both held “domestic” positions. Growing up, my mother worked as a nanny and my father worked as a chauffeur. Later in my youth, my mother pursued her love of service and completed nursing school. Due to my parents’ influence, as well as growing up in a Catholic household, I was raised with very strong morals, values, and ethics. I believe in respecting others and treating them as I would like to be treated. I value conscientious, well-done work and view this as a form of self-respect. I hold myself to very high standards and have a very strong work ethic, instilled by my Irish-Catholic family.
As a child, I worked jobs as a paper boy, shoveling snow for neighbors, worked at a soda fountain, as a camp counselor, and as a houseman one summer on Martha’s Vineyard. From a young age, my life was dedicated to serving others. As an adult, I pursued a career in teaching, being of service in an educational capacity. I was of service to my family and friends, acting as a designated gift-buyer for special occasions. I also worked as an event coordinator after my teaching career, orchestrating intimate and gala-type events.
My personal work style is very “hands-on,” with a pleasant, cooperative, and positive attitude. I pride myself on having a very good sense of humor and being able to find laughter in daily events and activities. I believe that service is simply “providing personal assistance to someone in need.” My work ethic lends itself to accomplishing this task in a professional manner, respecting boundaries, and acting in accordance with the given situation. I am very results-oriented and believe in communicating and working in a very respectful manner.
My upbringing has brought me to a point of being very family-centric. As a child, most of our entertaining was centered on family events and holidays. These are some of my happiest memories, and I enjoy working in Private Homes where I can enable other families to thrive and enjoy their time together.
In 1995, after the sudden passing of the Headmaster at Starkey International, I assumed the role of educating two subsequent classes while the Institute looked for a permanent Headmaster. My years of experience in education and teaching, combined with my lifetime in Private Service, made me an ideal person for this temporary role.
As I have grown in my career in Private Service, I am now in a place where I would like to provide a high level of service as a Personal Assistant, “go-to person” or Household Manager. I am capable of providing almost any need within a household from Administrative, to managing vendors and overall seeing what needs to be done. I would also be capable of scheduling/managing personal events and parties. I am happy to travel with a Principal for business and to other homes as well.
My top five standards are: Administrative, Entertaining, Clothing and Valet, Maintenance and Personal Care.
Technical Skill Synopsis:
- Familiar with the use of PC and Mac operating systems and other specific software
- Experienced with managing multiple staff in multiple homes
- Manages schedules, calendars, and household budgets
- Bill paying and account reconciliations
- Scheduling and oversight of vendors
- Comfortable hiring, training, and terminating staff
- Able to create Household Management book, detailing the duties and expectations of all staff
- International travel and concierge needs including tickets, hotel, drivers and security
- Cares for crystal, china, and silver
- Coordinates and executes formal and informal entertaining events
- Creates a desired ambiance in the home, based on a Principal’s standards
- Knowledgeable in floral arrangements, placement, and specific requests
- Able to properly set a table for formal and informal dining
- Utilizes the “Ballet of Service” to coordinate and execute events within a home
Clothing & Valet:
- Launders and irons clothing
- Specialty fabric, shoe, and leather care
- Rotates clothing for seasonal storage
- Organizes closets and packs for business and leisure travel
- Experienced personal shopper; coordinates outfits for Principals to fit any occasion
- Has a great personal interest in clothing and fashion
- Educated in the procurement and purchasing of fine clothing
- Comfortable packing and unpacking for travel
- Familiar with high-end designers of both men’s and women’s fashion
- Renovation and decoration experience in multiple homes
- Coordinates basic maintenance of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and security/smart home systems
- Coordinates repair and maintenance of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and security/smart home systems
- Being the overall eye when remodeling the home
- Manages and maintains records of all systems within a home
- Able to perform minor maintenance functions such as changing light bulbs and hanging photographs
- Comfortable assisting with essential hygiene and basic daily functions
- Natural affinity and communication style
- Life experience with relatives, friends, and acquaintances
- Able to manage medications and appointments
- Familiar with various types of therapies (occupational, speech, visual, etc.)
- Comfortable driving to and from appointments and social activities
- Experience working in a home with frequent high-level house guests
- High level of concierge service offered
- Guest management (profiles, likes/dislikes, services and tourism offered, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience of regular health maintenance for cats and dogs
- Comfortable working around domestic pets
- Able to manage medications and appointments for grooming, vet, and miscellaneous needs
- Experience caring for children
- Training and/or experience in childcare/education
- Natural affinity and life experience with children
- Comfortable working in a child-sensitive home