Property & Grounds
I spent my formative childhood years in Greenwich, CT, raised in the home of my grandparents. My paternal grandfather, John Cameron Swayze, had a successful career as a radio and TV personality during the 1950s and 1960s, and he instilled in me the values of honesty, respect, personal integrity and being a man of my word. Looking back at my childhood, I was greatly influenced by my grandparents’ caretaker, a man named John. He was patient, kind and always at peace, teaching me what a true Service Heart is.
My maternal grandfather was born in Calabria, Italy in 1910 and immigrated to America when Mussolini came to power. A Catholic without a formal education, he built a landscaping business on the principles of being a man of his word. He taught me the value of hard work and taking opportunity when it knocks. Growing up, I gained the “caretaker attitude” while working for my family's landscaping business.
I attended high school at Kimball Union Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire, after several years of boarding school at The Harvey School in Katonah, New York, where the close proximity to New York City introduced me to film, art and various cuisines. Upon graduation, I moved to California and stayed for more than 15 years. I continued my professional development by fighting fires and completing several courses in botany and herbal studies. In 2007, I married my wife, Catherine, a professional pastry chef, and continued to expand my culinary palate. We enjoy staying at our home in Paris.
Periodic encounters with Private Service have helped me realize that this is the right career for me. The industry combines all of my greatest talents: helping people, managing projects and leading teams. My experience includes six years of seasonal care for up to 12 vacation homes in Nantucket, Massachusetts. I also worked as a Household Manager with a staff of seven for one year in Media, PA. I am the proverbial handyman, relying on my years of construction and trade experience to ensure the perfect operation of homes. With more than 15 years of experience in the film industry, including owning a film production company, I handled all administrative tasks: marketing, sourcing and selecting vendors, contract negotiations, project management and union requirements.
I am very proud of my accomplishments in business, which have reflected my core values of integrity, hard work and professionalism. My diverse background gives me the ability to be knowledgeable in a variety of areas. My experience and study gives me a deeper understanding of the operation and function of fine homes. I am proud to have a traditional Service style, while embracing a modern-day approach. I believe in loyalty and honesty and that hard work is good for the soul. Having been given so much, I feel the need to give of my Service Heart to the right family. I prefer long-term employment and would be happy to work with the right employer until I retire.
My top Service Standards are Administrative, Housekeeping, Property & Grounds and Maintenance.
- Responsible for relaying messages, emails, faxes and mail correspondences
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Capable of creating and maintaining Principal’s personal and household calendars
- Capable of using the Starkey System to identify, define and organize household service expectations and customize a service profile to a Principal’s standards
- Experienced managing all logistics associated with a household
- Interfaces with family office to ensure clear and precise communication
- Develops a staff manual outlining the rules and regulations of a household
- Proficient in interfacing, supervising and negotiating with vendors and contractors
- Experienced with cataloging, organizing and maintaining warranties, maintenance records, collectible inventories, purchased items, insurance records, medical histories and required medicines
- Capable of creating and customizing zone cleaning schedules replete with task sheets and weekly and yearly schedules according to the Starkey system
- Capable of overseeing and training housekeeping staff to a higher standard of “White Glove Proficiency”
- Proficient with hands-on housekeeping duties
- Capable of laundry tasks: ironing sheets and shirts and steaming delicate fabrics
- Using natural pH-balanced products with neutral scents unless instructed otherwise
- Proficient with cleaning to a showroom level of neatness
Property & Grounds:
- Experience growing up in a landscaping family and working on large estates
- Certified in botany and medicinal use of herbs
- Adept at overseeing grounds care and gardening and property maintenance
- Capable of hands-on landscape care and bidding and managing vendors as necessary
- Opens and closes pools, Jacuzzis, tennis courts and boat docks
- Keeps inventory of all outdoor equipment and furniture
- Maintains and clears driveways and walkways from snow and leaves
- Conducts daily walkthrough and inspection of property, grounds and facilities
- Maintains and monitors existing smart home technologies
- Schedules preventive maintenance and service repairs with vendors
- Coordinates and oversees construction projects with contractors
- Creates service maintenance schedules for all appliances and installations
- Determines when issues require a professional
- Maintains garage, sheds, boat docks and generators
- 20 years of experience with construction projects, including sourcing contractors, approving blueprints and overseeing all phases of construction for quality control