Travel & Transportation
Above all, sincerity and honesty are my highest values and I have always tried to surround myself with likeminded people. Integrity, loyalty, dedication and discretion all go hand-in-hand and have guided me in every part of my life both personal and professional. Dedication to hard work and perseverance is the philosophy I have employed in every job or task I have undertaken. I truly have a gift for hospitality with a high level of competency and have successfully turned my gifts into a lifelong career of service. Whether I’m serving as an Estate Manager or club manager, I truly go the extra mile. My 22 years in the Air Force, six years managing a private country club and nearly three years managing a private estate have taught me the meaning of teamwork and the importance of task completion.
I was born in Cleveland, Ohio to an Italian and Irish family who came to America in the early 1900s with dreams and hopes of making a better life for future generations. My family’s Italian heritage and culture have influenced me with a great sense of family. All of our gatherings were always filled with lots of great food, conversation, a sense of belonging and family pride. My grandparents were hardworking and very successful in carpentry and telecommunications. My mother grew up as an only child with a solid parochial education. She married soon after graduation and was blessed with two sons. Her sense of family was a key pillar in making me the person I am today. She truly shaped and forged the no-nonsense and well-rounded personality within me all while maintaining a sense of humor. She always wanted her sons to have the ability to care for themselves in every aspect of their lives and so she taught me many of the skills I use today. Early in my life, her teachings shared a great sense of caring and creativity within me and lit the fire inside my service heart.
My life’s experiences have allowed me to reach a high level of skills and the style of service in which I am most comfortable. I have worked in the hospitality industry going all the way back to my first job during high school, where I served at the local country club in my hometown in every capacity there was (waiter, bartender and chef’s assistant). My years in the Air Force have given me the well-rounded and balanced professional experiences to draw from for all of my different positions. As a personnel technician (human resource manager), I seized the opportunity to excel in areas of human resource management (promotions, employment, retirements and separation). I have also managed two command sections as well as two protocol offices. My Enlisted Aide experience has pushed my level of knowledge even higher in entertaining and event planning. After I retired from active duty with over 22 years of honorable service, I have come full circle in that I rose to become the General Manager/Chief Operations Officer for a private country club soon after being hired. I served at the country club for six years before being recruited as an Estate Manager. My time in the hospitality field has most definitely provided me with the necessary experience and skills to significantly raise the standards of service and guest care in my current role. Summing up my style of service would be professional, competent and a very comfortable delivery system with the highest level of integrity.
My Top Standards are Administrative, Entertaining, Culinary and Travel & Transportation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word/PowerPoint/Outlook/Excel)
- Manages budgets ranging from personal funds (monthly operation expenses) to governmental funds (as an Enlisted Aide)
- Processes all invoicing for all vendors, utilities and other household expenses, including tracking expenses and bill pay (accounts payable and receivable)
- Skilled with customized service delivery systems based on the standards and preferences of six Air Force senior officers (Generals) as well as adapting the Starkey System to a private club
- Manages and cultivates vendor relationships to provide the highest standard of support and value
- Capable of processing all daily, weekly, monthly and yearly staff schedules
- Edits and maintains household system binders that include housekeeping, culinary and maintenance as well as other service standard guides
- Proficient with Crestron in smart home technology operation
- Published author of training articles and materials for education of new Enlisted Aides
- Plans and executes events from two to 800 guests
- Experienced planning formal events for military and foreign dignitaries, including formal dinners
- Six years of experience planning and executing events at a country club, including weddings, fundraisers and casual outdoor gatherings
- Skilled with raising the level of detail and excellence among an event staff
- Capable of overseeing all event logistics: guests lists, invitations, table settings, centerpieces, lodging and musical entertainment
- Culinary Institute of America ProChef (Level 1) and American Culinary Federation certified
- Experienced private cook for General Officers in their homes as an Enlisted Aide
- Comfortable with a wide variety of cuisines and all service styles (formal and informal)
- Skilled with cooking formal dinners for senior global officials
- Knowledgeable of nutrition, proper food prep/safety and menu planning
- Experienced supervising private chefs and working with them to menu plan and stock inventory in accordance with dietary needs and restrictions
- Learns and understands flavor profiles and comfort foods (family favorites) and collaborates with staff to plan menus and meals accordingly
Transportation & Travel:
- Extensive travel experience in both Asia and Europe
- Drives Principals and guests as needed
- Experienced with safety and service on private aircraft (G5) and coordinating with staff, pilots and ground personnel
- Books travel accommodations (domestic and foreign)
Life at Starkey has been busy and fulfilling as always. Right now we are hosting experienced military Enlisted Aides and working civilians for our four-week Household Management certification program. Just when I thought I’d never have a formal dinner again, they are currently knee-deep in menu planning, centerpiece design and preparing for the flawless execution of a nine-course formal dinner this Friday. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to be hosting guests at my table again, with this group made up of members of our military and local police. Plus, local stars and Starkey Graduates Joseph and Karen Bates are joining in on the fun to help.
In addition to our four-week Household Management course here at the Mansion, Starkey has been busy teaching correspondence courses online for working Household and Estate Managers. Starkey continues to place our Graduates with many new clients during these Covid-19 times. We just placed the highest salaried position in Starkey history at $192,000, along with two other placements this month, and more clients continue to come our way.
You may have heard that our Mansion is also now an Airbnb, following major upgrades throughout the home, including a new gym and billiards room. Not to mention Xavier’s pride and joy, an authentic brick pizza oven in the garden he built with 1,000 bricks! This summer, we have hosted numerous weddings, rehearsals and parties, until the homeless encampment appeared all around our block. Xavier and I retreat to our garden to calm our nerves; he smokes his cigars and I admire our beautiful roses and flowers while we enjoy delicious homemade pizza.
We have decided to postpone our Restoring the Art Retreat this October. Between travel challenges, the upcoming election and all-around bad timing, we are going to hold off on the retreat until the spring. The Mansion will be eager to lovingly care for our Graduates then!
Back by popular request, we are preparing for two (or more) four-week Household Management certification classes next year in 2021 here in Denver: likely one in April and one in September. Courses will include The Starkey Service Management System (and the 11 management tools), The Art of Fine Housekeeping, The Art of Entertaining (with a formal dinner) and The Relationship of Service. Keep an eye on our website for details and call us to register.
Hope everyone is staying busy and well during a challenging year!
The Hensley Settlement still exists today as a tourist stop in the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, where my family members first settled in 1903. I was born about 35 miles away in Harlan, Kentucky in 1964. My father was a mining engineer who ran a construction company along with his brother. My mother was a homemaker and entertainer, throwing casual barbecues and holiday parties for friends and family. Although money was occasionally tight, my parents instilled in me values of hard work, honesty and integrity that I carry with me in the way I serve.
My mother later employed a housekeeper and nanny to help around the house and with my two siblings and me. When I was 7 years old, I remember playing with matches and I set a bowl on fire. The nanny ran into the room screaming, and after she stomped the fire out, she sternly told me, “You promise me not to do it again and I won’t say a word.” She was part of the family, and I have fond memories of her. I never did it again!
At the height of my father’s business, he employed more than 1,000 people and was very successful. For one Christmas, the entire family—18 people—took an expensive trip to Disney World. Not too long after that vacation, my father’s company collapsed and shrunk down to five employees. My father signed over his car to me so that the IRS wouldn’t take it, and I remember counting pennies from a jar for Christmas. Even though times were tough, I never felt sad, but woke up every day with a smile on my face. It’s something I still practice.
I was 26 when I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in Florida. The cooks—in charge of feeding between 800 and 1,200 people, were all miserable and disorganized. I came in and wrote down jobs and timelines for all the cooks in the kitchen on a whiteboard, which everyone obeyed as if it were an order. It was the first time I realized my knack for creating process and order that improved the cooks’ jobs as well as the quality of the food.
During my 12 years with the Coast Guard, I held multiple roles, including inventory management of the cleaning supplies and food, for 110 people aboard the USS Lager during its eight-week tours. I also managed an inn in Kentucky, where I increased annual revenue from $250,000 to $625,000 over the course of three years.
With my military and hospitality backgrounds, I have had the privilege of working in multiple homes as a Household Manager for the past few years. I always bring a positive and humble attitude to the people I am serving. I listen well to my supervisors and those who report to me, and I create order and processes to get work done in the most efficient way possible. I have a Southern gracious work style, always with a sense of family. I also take notes and make lists as to not forget a single request. Thank you for the opportunity.
My top three Service Standards are Administrative, Housekeeping and Culinary.
- Skilled with identifying and completing yearly projects
- Skilled with HR responsibilities, including hiring, training, managing and terminating staff
- Capable of organizing files for receipts and maintenance records
- Maintains household calendars and schedules for Principals and staff
- Develops and implements household rules and regulations
- Oversees small remodeling projects
- Specializes in inventory and logistics
- Makes lists for all household tasks and accomplishes tasks in a timely manner
- Trains staff in proper housekeeping methods, including cleaning silver, crystal, chandeliers and china
- Experienced with hands-on housekeeping responsibilities, including proper bed-making techniques, bathroom cleaning, mopping floors and more
- Skilled with creating zones and task sheets for proper and timely cleaning of a home
- Experienced with proper care of valuable artwork and high-end antiques
- Organizes staff and personal tasks
- Evaluates the skill level of the housekeeper
- Knowledgeable of cleaning products and their uses on various materials
- Performs daily graces in a home
- Supervises methods of cooking and plans menus for the principal, taking into account their allergies and ages
- Knowledgeable of shopping for organic products and healthy foods
- Capable of storing food properly and rotating inventory
- Creates daily menus and special event menus
- Performs staff training regarding food safety and hygiene
- Proficient with proper food presentation
Household Manager/Elder Care
Clothing & Valet
I was born on the island of Jamaica, the fourth of five children. My mom was a warden at a women’s penitentiary and my father was a soldier in the Jamaica Defense Force. My grandmother, Sister Myrtle, and my great-grandmother, Miss Alice, raised me until I was 12. This was a common practice in Jamaican culture, as it eases the burden on young families.
I first realized my Service Heart around the age of six, living with my elders. As far as I can remember, I would help Sister Myrtle walk, as she had trouble with her legs (perhaps from osteoarthritis, an injury, or nerve damage). I spent my early years with many seniors who depended on me to help with strenuous tasks. Sister Myrtle and I were bosom buddies, virtually inseparable. I later discovered that Sister Myrtle was a cook to a private family. Her family valued her so much that when she retired, her name was written into their will, and she continued to receive checks from the family her entire life.
When I was 12 years old, I returned to live with my dad. My mother had previously moved to New York to work and pave a way for us to join her. On the weekends, my sister and I helped our live-in maid with housekeeping chores. Two years later, when we moved to New York, I assumed more responsibilities in our home, including cooking and cleaning for our family of seven, as both our parents worked.
After college, I landed a job as a Sales Analyst with Winthrop Pharmaceuticals, the company now known as Sanofi. I stayed with the company for 12 years, before deciding to leave the corporate world to raise my children.
I worked with my children and some of their friends in various areas of academia, at times assisting as many as seven students with their studies. I enjoyed helping them with SAT/ACT test prep, AP coursework, college applications, college visits, financial aid forms, college scholarship applications, summer jobs, internship applications and much more.
After my children left the home, I decided to re-enter the work force by pursuing a career in Private Service. My first career was administrative, the second, personal care. This third career, in Private Service, is a natural combination of the two. My Top Four Service Standards are Personal Care, (children, elderly, pets, guests), Administration, Clothing and Valet, and Housekeeping.
In my most recent assignment, I was Family Attendant to a family of seven: parents, three children, (including a pair of twins), a dog and a cat. I performed duties in Personal Care, Housekeeping and Clothing and Valet in a 35,000-square-foot nascent home. The kids, the dog and I were the ultimate troopers, often being a bit too rambunctious for the cat! We indulged in Minecraft, online games, slime, riddles, crossword puzzles, board games, homework, projects, capture-the-flag, hide-and-go-seek, property walks, amusement parks, tennis, basketball, table hockey, pinball, football, rollerblading, swimming, playing on trampolines, dancing, TV watching, running, sledding—you name it, we did it—all in the pursuit of fun, happiness, and peals of laughter.
From caring for the elderly, to working with high school students, to being a Family Attendant, my goal has been to support individuals or families in their desired lifestyle, to be their best selves, and to enjoy a certain “joie de vivre.” It has been an immensely satisfying journey.
In summary, I am passionate about learning, growing and adding to my skill set. I look forward to combining my Service Heart and my drive for excellence to support and improve the quality of life of an individual or a family. My only regret is not having embarked sooner on a career path in private care. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.
My top four Service Standards are: Personal Care, Administrative, Clothing & Valet, and Housekeeping.
- Supports family values and discipline, as appropriate
- Assess environment to ensure safety of all children
- Supports wake-up and bedtime routines for all ages
- Assists with bathing and grooming for daily activities and special events
- Identifies favorites and preferences for children
- Keeps calendar of daily schedules, school activities and social activities
- Maintains child-specific inventory of toiletries and school supplies
- Provides educational support in Math, English, Reading, Writing, Science, Social Studies, French, Biology, Chemistry, History, and Standardized Test Preparation
- Provides coaching, mentoring, supervision, and guidance in academics, career choices, and extra-curricular activities
- Assists with Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) meetings, Parent-Teacher Conferences, and college visits
- Provides daily transportation for children in addition to sports, art, music lessons and competitions
- Chaperones play-dates, sleep-overs, and school trips
- New Jersey Board Certified as Home Health Aide
- Mindful of life values, ethnic, religious, and cultural beliefs
- Assists with wake-up and bedtime routines, daily schedules, and activities
- Supports daily grooming, bathing, and dressing needs
- Identifies flavor profiles, favorites, and preferences
- Supports those with limited mobility including ADA access, Wheelchairs, Scooter, and Special Bathroom Supports
- Manages calendars for social functions, medical appointments, and entertainment engagements
- Provides transportation to appointments for medical, dental, vision, hair, aestheticians, therapists, pharmacists
- Manages medical records and safety measures such as life alert bracelets and medical ID’s
- Accompanies elders on trips to visit with friends or relatives
- Supports family’s pet care style and discipline
- Supports pet-care schedules, daily activities, and special security measures, like invisible fence
- Interacts with pets to feed, walk, play with, and provide daily care
- Manages appointments with vet, trainer, groomer, and other pet-specific vendors
- Provides special toys/resting area, special clothing, accommodates special dietary needs
- Will employ Starkey Guest Management System
- Coordinates visits from other family members, friends, and business associates
- Identifies preferences and favorites and ensures all needs are met
- Inquires about daily schedules and suggests interesting activities or events
- Ensures all food requests are prepared for and supported including special diets and flavor profiles
- Provides concierge support for reservations and special requests
- Provides administrative support for equipment/technology and guest room amenities
- Provides Pick-up and Drop-off services at airport, train terminal, etc.
- Prepares guest rooms for arrival with special attention given to requests and amenities
- Uses the patented Starkey Household Management System to structure the environment
- Possess excellent articulation in verbal, written and public speaking skills
- Researches, draft, edit, proof-read, and publish emails and documents
- Manages contacts, mailing lists, invitation lists, correspondence, and personal files
- Utilizes calligraphy
- Comfortable hiring, training, and managing a staff
- Develops Employee Handbook to contain personnel policies
- Experienced in conflict resolution, time management and team-building skills
- Manages household budget including credit card reconciliations and balancing bank accounts
- Experienced developing and maintaining a budget for 20 people and $2 million dollars: petty cash, deposits, withdrawals and money transfers
- Detail-oriented and precise in business transactions and can negotiate fair prices
- Knowledge of payroll procedures, health insurance, disability insurance, catastrophic insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, vision benefits, 401(k) plans, IRA plans, Social Security benefits, payroll taxes, etc.
- Able to digitize paper files and video recordings
- Proficient with business machines: computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, label makers, postage meters, and scales
- High level of computer skills: Adobe, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Google, calendar programs, iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, Smartphones, Apps, Mac Notebooks, PCs, and laptops
- Familiar with smart home technology
- Can handle phone conferences, video conferences and running errands
- Maintenance of manuals, records, specifications, how-to care, inventories and warranties
Clothing & Valet:
- Determine Principal’s clothing style to support Personal Shopping needs
- Manages dry cleaning including logging items in and out, and repairs needed
- Acts as personal shopper and online ordering management
- Highly skilled at clothing care, shoe care, purse care and closet organization
- Careful handling specialty fabric, shoes, leathers, and accessories
- Familiar with sports clothing, equestrian wear, outdoor gear
- Knowledge of furs in wear, treatment, and storage
- Can launder, steam and iron clothing and linens
- Skilled at sewing buttons, closing seams, and performing minor clothing repairs
- Can rotate clothing for seasonal storage
- Can pack and unpack for business and leisure travel
- Has a personal interest in clothing and fashion
- Implements customized zoning and task sheets for a home
- Works alongside housekeeper to train or support, as needed
- Familiar with proper tools and procedures for cleaning a home
- Able to create Daily, Weekly, and Seasonal task sheets for detailed cleaning
- Understand smells and Special Care cleaning products for: glass, chrome, silver, brass, copper, gold
- Skilled in bed-making and turn-down
- Knowledge of Antique and fine rug care
- Driven to ensure meticulous housekeeping standards
- Maintains inventory of household cleaning supplies and tools
I was born in Washington, DC on May 3, 1969, the 11th of 15 children. My mother was a Navy wife, medical secretary and homemaker. My father was a Navy air traffic controller before becoming a contractor, building many churches in the area. At an early age, I was exposed to Washington’s cultural activities: trips to Smithsonian museums, national parks and churches. We also spent time at our second home, a coastal beach house in Delaware. My life was happy, with two very devoted, family-oriented parents who taught us great morals, values, and ethics. My Catholic faith is a central part of my world as I navigate through life.
Some of my happiest memories from my upbringing are boating, family gatherings and momentous celebrations, where we prepared food from scratch, cut fresh flowers from the garden and used fine china, crystal and silver to adorn to craft beautiful table settings. My Service Heart began to take form as a child who loved being in the kitchen. The appreciation of freshness, quality, presentation down to the last detail, a passion for cooking and the desire to share these things with others became the foundations that led me into Private Service. As a young adult, friends and family would often say I had such a gift for creating wonderful meals and a lovely home. My siblings describe me as tenacious, conscientious, creative, loyal, reasonable, optimistic, calm-natured, confident and precise.
In my early 20s, I was in a tragic car accident that has defined my journey into becoming a Service Heart. I realized God had a bigger plan for my life than I realized, and I jumped at the opportunity to be able to cook and travel. My will to bring happiness to others and share my talents with food and entertaining started to clarify. I had to make a way for myself and my future, so I began educating myself on fine cooking.
In 1995, I began taking French cooking courses at L’Academie De Cuisine, and became a part-time assistant to founder Francois Dionot, the culinary school’s founder. I worked as a Private Chef in the formal home of a well-recognized Washington businessman position for several years. I mentored under a British-trained Estate Manager and worked closely with Executive Housekeepers, Housemen, Drivers and Captains. I learned a great deal about business protocol and etiquette, housekeeping standards, formal and informal entertaining and administrative duties. I was a team player and assisted in supervising household personnel.
The last 23 years have been filled with amazing roles in wonderful homes and yachts as Private Chef and Household Management duties. These positions, along with my will to advance, have led me to becoming a Certified Household Manager through the Starkey International Institute for Household Management. The right relationship with my Principals has always been more important to me than my salary. I will bring the value of a competent, self-assured and disciplined work ethic to a home, along with an amicable, polite and genuine presence. What I bring to a home is a respectful, intellectual process of making a true difference.
My top Service Standards are Administrative, Culinary, Entertaining and Housekeeping.
- Familiar with the use of PC/MAC operating systems and various software programs including Google Chrome, Microsoft Word, Excel and Smartsheet
- Communicates with Principal on priorities and household needs/schedules
- Maintains schedules and daily hours worked for all household personnel
- Skilled with cataloging household art, collectibles, silver, crystal and china; coordinates the sale of antique furniture
- Creates inventory list for food and personal care items and compiles computer-generated weekly menus
- Experienced organizing and maintaining an off-site storage unit
- Capable of ordering housewares, fine crystal, fine china, sterling silver flatware and serving pieces
- Comfortable with HR duties including hiring, firing and training of staff
- Experienced with supervising a housekeeping and culinary support team of eight individuals at the most
- Capable of planning high-end estate and yacht gatherings
- Provides leadership to professional catering personnel for special events from five to 500 guests
- Capable of scheduling, managing and overseeing vendors, including contractors and maintenance personnel
- Reviews and approves invoices, bill paying and account reconciliations
- Communicates with the Family Office about financial matters
- Coordinates setup, opening, provisioning and operation of exclusive secondary homes/yachts
- Purchases gifts and specialty items
- Able to arrange ground transportation and travel
- Raised in a large family-oriented home that entertained regularly and stressed cooking with fresh, seasonal foods
- Attended many regional culinary classes/seminars including experiences under Patrick O’Connell of The Inn at Little Washington in Virginia and Francois Dionot of L’Acedemie de Cuisine in Maryland
- Studied and worked under Emeril Lagasse at Emeril’s Delmonico in New Orleans, LA in Patisserie (pastries) and Garde Manger (the prep area for cold dishes)
- Positioned as a Private Chef in exclusive homes and yachts in Washington DC; Miami and Los Angeles for a prominent retail real estate developer
- Served as Private Chef for many prominent figures and celebrities, including the wife of the Ambassador to Switzerland
- Extensive knowledge of various Pacific and Atlantic Coast cuisines, such as Pacific Rim, New England, California Spa, yacht and seafood cuisine
- Knowledgeable of London’s and France’s food culture
- Capable of cooking for heart-healthy, diabetic, vegetarian, paleo and Celiac diets
- Coordinates large events with caterers, floral designers and entertainment at events, including political fundraisers hosting the President of the United States
- Manages culinary staff and entertaining staff for parties and special events
- Capable of serving family meals/dinner parties in various serving styles
- Familiar with table settings
- Capable of pairing of food and wine
- Knowledgeable of logging, purchasing and maintaining wine and liquor
- Skilled at creating different themed parties such as a Hawaiian Pig Roast and a New England Clam Bake
- Skilled with coordinating and setting up large-scale holiday decorations
- Highly skilled with knives, learned through formal training and years of practice
- Contributes to menu development for daily, weekly meals, parties and events
- Compiles and maintains all food and beverage inventory lists
- Provisions all culinary items, including trips to various high-end markets and farms
- Skilled with organizing kitchen and galley refrigerators, freezers and pantries for multiple properties and yachts, often simultaneously
- Maintains all kitchen and galley equipment, outsourcing vendors for maintenance
- Involved in planning multiple high-end kitchen (both indoor and outdoor) redesigns, including researching and purchasing top-of-the-line stoves, grills and appliances
- Maintains culinary and entertaining budgets according to Principal’s standard
- Experienced teaching cooking classes to children ages 5-12
- Contributes to cooking for homeless shelters on Skid Row in Los Angeles
- Graduate of the patented Starkey Service Household Management Program
- Mentored four years under a British-trained Butler/Estate Manager in Washington, DC
- Skilled with scheduling the daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly detailed cleaning, including gilded surfaces and window screens
- Competent in zoning a property and creating customized, timed housekeeping task sheets for each zone
- Comfortable with interviewing potential housekeepers and communicating about any staff problems or concerns
- Leader in demonstrating proper technique, the use of appropriate tools, products and delegating duties
- Organizes inventory lists for all housekeeping items, including personal care items for all family members and guests
- Extensive experience with the detailed, interior and exterior cleaning of high-end homes and yachts
- Familiar with cleaning fine collectibles, art, carpets and furniture
- Understands proper care of surfaces, granite, stone, hardwood floors and stainless steel using specific products
- Knowledgeable of biodegradable and green cleaning products such as Ecos, Method Home, Seventh Generation and homemade cleaning products
- Maintains the cleanliness of patio/pool furniture, travertine balconies and decks
- Understands laundering, sorting fabrics and dry cleaning
- Familiar with folding clothes, bedding and towels
- Experienced with ironing, steaming of bedding, linens and clothing items
- Knowledgeable of bed-making techniques as defined by Emily Post
- Resources additional vendors as needed for glass cleaning, carpet and furniture cleaning as well as the polishing of hardwood floors
Busy couple seeks the service of a Starkey-certified Household Manager with excellent Maintenance, Property & Grounds and Household Management skills and experience.
From a very young age, my family instilled in me the values of serving others. We were always volunteering for our church and community, and helping each other and trying to feed large groups always required a lot of teamwork. My parents taught me how to be independent, roll up my sleeves and get the job done. If I didn’t know how to do something, I learned and since then, I have been fortunate to learn something new every day. That is one of the reasons I pursued degrees Art History, Ancient Civilizations, Nursing and as a Paralegal. There are just too many fascinating things in the world to be ignored.
As an adult, I have been fortunate to work in a variety of different fields, from intelligence work in the military to restaurants and even developing assessment tests with the ACT and NCS. As a child, I always wanted to be a Butler, but it was pure coincidence that I discovered Starkey International Institute for Household Management more than 15 years ago. I have been fortunate to be able to combine my education and experiences into the esteemed profession of Private Service. I see myself as the “Stage Manager” who is coordinating the myriad activities that happen behind the scenes as I am able to multitask and organize the varied duties of running a household.
Having a system and routine are helpful, but being flexible and open are also necessary. I understand the need to be on the Principal’s agenda and I am well-versed in the concept of maintaining classified and confidential information as required from when I held a top secret clearance with the US Navy.
I have strong Administrative skills, technical and mechanical know-how, unobtrusive service skills and anticipation, wine knowledge, proper care of art/furniture/silver/china/crystal and a knack for floral arrangements. I also work within budgets, cut extraneous costs when appropriate and make efficiency a top priority. However, the comfort and standards of the family always come first. Maintaining boundaries and confidentiality with Service, as well as teamwork, should be paramount for any household staff member.
Organized chaos is the best way I can describe what life is all about. I believe that a home should be an oasis away from that chaos. It is my job to make it so.
My top Service Standards are Administration, Housekeeping, Culinary, Maintenance and Personal Care.
- Strong organizational skills, including making lists, charts and tracking vendor information and inventory
- Experience working with both PC and Apple products: computers, smart phones and tablets
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Capable of all HR responsibilities: hiring, training, terminating, managing schedules, tax forms, background checks, etc.
- Capable of networking and internet-related setup/maintenance
- Skilled with QuickBooks: maintaining petty cash records, expenses and budgets
- Capable of maintaining household and family calendars
- Capable of sorting and processing mail
- Skilled with tracking expenses and progress during extensive renovations
- Experience in wine cellar management
- Experience in hiring, training and managing a team of housekeepers
- Capable of zoning a home with zones and task sheets
- Maintains homes to the standards expected of the Principals
- Skilled at polishing and maintaining silver, crystal, china and decorative items
- Experience in the maintenance of wood furniture and fine art
- Familiar with establishing cleaning checklists and instruction manuals for staff
- 35 years of professional culinary experience
- Familiar with daily cooking for small to large families
- Able to modify recipes to personal preferences or special diets
- Experience cooking for guests with highly restrictive allergies or diets, including heart-healthy options and anti-inflammatory restrictions
- Capable of cooking different cuisines, including French, American Southern and vegan
- Experience with cooking for formal dinner parties, casual entertaining, appetizers for cocktail parties and more
- Experience catering a Thanksgiving dinner on a private plane for 10 guests
- Certified in Food Handler Safety and Alcohol Awareness in several states
- Knowledgeable with wine, beer and liquor
- Experience working in high-end and casual restaurants
- Capable of basic hands-on home maintenance, including plumbing, electrical and vehicle fixes
- Skilled at vendor selection and management of all contractors for HVAC, plumbing, electrical, water, smart home technology and extermination
- Capable of replacing appliances on schedule
- Experienced overseeing the installation of two elevators for two different households
- Knowledgeable of the installation and upgrade of smart home technology, including Lutron, AMX and Savant
- Capable of upgrading audio/video equipment to keep up with new technology and applications
- Develops maintenance schedules of all household equipment to ensure proper and uninterrupted use
- Purchasing, organization and dispensing prescriptions and supplements
- Aided in post stroke care and subsequent physical therapy
- Maintained all medical records, attended medical appointments and was primary caregiver in the home
- Cared for pre-teens with Cerebral Palsy on weekends while in the Military
- Cared for a teenager with Cerebral Palsy in the home
- Assists guests with luggage and any special dietary needs
- Prepares guest rooms with flowers, specialty bedding (down pillows or hyper-allergenic) and any other needs
- Maintains a supply of sundries in case anything was forgotten when packing
- Provides ground transportation to and from airport and any events
- Maintains a list of local restaurants as well as their menus for quick reference
- Maintains a selection of local interest and entertainment brochures
- Provides maps and directions
- Capable of guest clothing care, including dry cleaning, laundry and minor repairs to clothing; Shoe care and polishing as needed
Household Manager/ Atlanta
Empty nesters seek the help of a Starkey Grad to help them create a peaceful, well run 15,000 sq ft home. One German Shepard will appreciate support as well. Loves to entertain! Live out, excellent salary.
Estate Management/Syracuse NY
Busy couple seeks the support of a true Starkey trained Estate Manager for large compound and home, guest home and more. Highest of all 10 standards And knowledge required. Putting together new staff to serve new home. Excellent salary and benefits.
Personal Assistant Household Manager/ Missouri
Busy couple seek a Starkey Grad with high organizational and multitasking abilities; primary top standards: Administrative, Housekeeping and Culinary.
Live in or out. Salary DOE.
Busy family seeks the support of Starkey Certified estate manager to manage their new large home with several support staff! Live on property! Salary DOE.
June 8-12: The Relationship of Service Course
June 15-19: The System Management Course
June 22-26: Housekeeping Course
June 29- July 3: The Art of Entertainment Course
1) The Relationship of Service Course is about creating the ideal Private Service position for you. Who is your perfect employer, and what do you want to be doing all day? What are the differences between a Household or Estate Manager?
We will help you define:
Why are you in service?
What is in your background that prepares you for service?
What do you bring to the table that will make a difference in the Lifestyle Vision of your Principal?
What is your unique Style of Service?
These answers will invite potential Principals to want you as as their Household or Estate Manager. You will know what you are worth in today's market and why! As Service is 40 percent technical skills and 60 percent relationship, know the right relationship for you. Finally, Starkey will develop a Placement Profile for you and know how to place you with the right employer!
2) The Starkey Household Management Systems Course is the fundamental and core curriculum for setting up any Service Management Plan. This is a US patented System especially for managing private homes. You will learn the 11 management tools and 10 Standards of Services you must know to be successful in a home. Without these tools, most are in crisis mode. You must know how to think as a Household or Estate Manager and understand the language used in Private Service; because like any profession, communication is key to success.
3) Housekeeping is to Household Management as bookkeeping is to Accounting. If you don’t know it, you can’t really supervise Housekeepers or train them. It’s an integral part of a Household Manager’s knowledge. The course offers setting up a Housekeeping System, what are appropriate Zones and Zone differences, selecting the right products for each purpose, cleaning methods, organization, care of fine furniture, bedroom cleaning and turndown service, sanitizing bathrooms, cleaning floors, developing daily duties, weekly duties, and seasonal cleaning. Seeing the details! Students will come out of this course knowing what fine Housekeeping really means.
4) The Art of Entertaining Course is back! We will be covering Table Settings, Table Service Styles, Champagne Service and Formal Dinner planning all from the perspective of the Emily Post tradition. If one knows the traditional art, one can always alter or fine-tune to fit the requests of your Principal. Starkey will present its famous “Entertainment Event Planner” and practice Order of Service. We will also cover care of fine China, Silver and Crystal, basic flower arrangements, proper use of candles and menu development. We will end the course with a formal dinner.
We look forward to having you!
We currently offer our Systems Program as an online correspondence course, in case you want to start learning now!
Click here to watch the Video of the Starkey mansion
Position: Household Manager
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Multidimensional Principal with family seeks the support of a Starkey-certified graduate for managing daily operations, vendors and administrative support. Must have administration/business sense. Maintenance and transportation support required. Live-out position; excellent salary and benefits.
Certified Household Manager:
Mrs. Starkey developed and coined the term “Certified Household Manager” in 1981. The term introduces into the marketplace a professional who is trained in the overall management of a private home. This position may be a Butler in the British tradition, or a Personal Assistant, Household Manager or Military Enlisted Aide in the American tradition. This individual has been trained and/or is experienced in all aspects of the private home and has a working knowledge of developing a Household Service Management System. The focus is primarily on the Home and Service Environment. The skills would include a working knowledge of Human Resources, management and training of service contractors and personnel, as well as the hands-on technical experience necessary to personally perform or train others within a Service Environment. Knowing Administrative, Cleaning, Maintenance, Clothing, Cooking, and Entertaining Standards, as well as HQ Service Management Software is essential. This person’s skills are more appropriate for homes between 5,000 and 17,000 square feet. Salaries are currently between $70,000 and $125,000 per year with benefits, plus housing.
Household Manager-Cook/ DC
Very busy family seeks Starkey Grad with top standards I. Culinary, Administration and Housekeeping. Work with and support full time housekeeper, PT laundress, and Nanny in 6,500 sq ft home with three young children and 2 working parents in tech and renewable energy. Live out 6 figure salary plus and all benefits!
Household Manager /New Jersey.
Couple from India seek Starkey Graduate to help their home run smoothly. Work with household cook and 2 housekeepers to have home always ready for guests.
Top three abilities, Administrative, Entertaining, and Maintenance abilities. Wonderful life out position in $100k plus, plus!
Household Manager/ Colorado
Family with children seek a Starkey Trained Household Manager with top Standards in Housekeeping, Culinary, Maintenance and of course be child sensitive for their 14,000 Sq ft home. Culinary dinners 2-3 days per week, daily operations, support housekeeping team, and supervise vendors.
Live out, 6 figures.
Household Manager Cheyenne Wyoming
Mature woman seeks a Certified Household Manager to support her household daily operations for 2 homes, travel support, culinary needs and management of housekeeping. Salary plus benefits.
Couple heavily involved in business concerns seek a Starkey Personal-Executive Assistant to cook, travel with to multiple locations, keep calendar and manage autos and other multiple tasks as requested for “His” needs!
Housing provided plus excellent salary.
Butler Household Manager Dallas,Texas
Busy mature older and international gentleman seeks the support of a Starkey Graduate with his business, household, and travel needs. 18,000 sq ft, Must live on property. Excellent Salary
Household Manager Chef-Arizona
Mature couple building a lovely new home seek a Certified Starkey Graduate with experience to provide primarily Administration, Culinary, and Entertaining Standards. 15,000 sq feet, rural location, housing provided! Excellent opportunity.